SBA’s award-winning architecture and interiors remain on the cutting-edge of contemporary, innovative design. Our work seeks to promote sophisticated and livable environments, whether a project involves revamping a century-old building into a modern scientific facility or planning and executing an expansive residential or healthcare campus. At SBA, we aim to improve the lives of those who live and work in the environments we create, no matter the size or scale.
Our “Featured Projects” section represents SBA’s recent forays into healthcare, residential, academic, and commercial design. These projects highlight SBA’s commitment to delivering exceptional aesthetic design in efficient, sustainable, and affordable facilities.View selected projects
Since SBA’s founding in 1932, we have undertaken a wide breadth of work, from the Devonshire, Boston’s first downtown residential high-rise to corporate and commercial developments such as the 600 Club at Fenway Park for the Boston Red Sox and the origination of healthcare networks like Harvard Community Health Plan.
Our “Legacy Projects” section represents SBA’s rich history of architectural and interior design practice—including work for clients who still partner with us today, decades after our first projects were completed.View selected projects
Today’s college students select schools as much for lifestyle as for quality of education. To attract the top students, each campus facility must reflect the innovative living and learning dynamic that defines your community, from classrooms and libraries to multi-use student centers and residence halls.
SBA’s architects and planners work with our clients to evolve your school’s history into its future, using architecture and interior design as instruments of change. We collaborate with students, faculty, and administrators to understand your missions for both today and tomorrow. The result is not just a functional, sustainable, and beautiful space—it’s a home.
SBA has worked with diverse institutions from large-scale research universities to local community colleges. We combine our extensive experience in residential and commercial design with expertise in campus planning to create traditional and technological classrooms, residence halls, student centers, libraries, and laboratories.View selected projects
Civic and Community
Civic architecture reflects a community’s local ambitions as well as its global aspirations. Whether we are designing a museum, a concert hall, a community center, or a cultural destination, SBA helps clients to promote their local identity while inspiring their future citizenry. We aim to empower people to shape their environment.
SBA works closely with clients as well as with representative community groups and local historic, transportation, and planning commissions in order to facilitate consensus for complex civic projects. Understanding that these spaces must be integrated into broader contexts, we pay careful attention to overall settings and use strategic planning to produce impressive designs that complement and advance the existing community.
Our work on civic projects covers a broad spectrum of urban and suburban spaces, including local community centers, houses of worship, cultural centers, museums, and performance spaces.View selected projects
Corporate Office / Commercial
Corporate and commercial environments have evolved significantly over the past 25 years, and our design philosophy has grown with these changes to address new concepts and innovations. While the 70s and 80s highlighted the creation of expansive R&D campuses separate from residential developments, today we design suburban and urban towns and business districts that incorporate new approaches to integrative environments for living and working.
SBA’s mission has been to create sustainable and energy-efficient developments that allow our clients to plan for their continued performance far into the future. We measure our success by praise we receive from our clients and their workers who spend each day in these environments.
Our work for corporate and commercial clients has included office environments for financial and law firms, physicians, city and government agencies, and high-tech telecommunications and computer facilities.View selected projects
The healthcare industry is one of the most complex and challenging markets today, requiring innovative vision combined with expert design and planning strategies. With physical campuses often built over decades, healthcare environments have diverse needs for both current and future facilities. Designers must plan for and understand these constantly evolving technologies and models of care.
SBA has worked with more than 200 healthcare organizations around the world. With this experience, we have developed the tools and resources to lead clients through the complicated process of planning for tomorrow while using the resources of today. We pride ourselves on fostering long-term strategic partnerships that span decades of service.
SBA has worked on more than 1,000 healthcare projects worldwide. We have expertise in planning and designing for every type of healthcare facility for inpatient, outpatient, and residential healthcare and support needs.View selected projects
Our interior designers ensure that built environments respond to each occupant’s needs. We produce facilities that can provide the kind of comfort and privacy for occupants, employees, and visitors that will generate long-term user satisfaction. We integrate efficient and sustainable finishes, furnishings, colors and artwork with strategic lighting design and facility layouts to generate aesthetically superb spaces.
SBA’s interior designers are integrated into each of our cohesive design teams. Our architects and interior designers collaborate daily, making us sensitive to the inter-relationships between building elements and interior dynamics. Our interiors staff provides constant communication with our clients at critical points of the design process, including the selection and coordination of furniture, finishes, and equipment.
Interior designers at SBA have a vast array of experience in all of our market sectors, including healthcare, residential, academic, corporate, and senior living facilities.View selected projects
Science + Technology
State-of-the-art laboratory environments accommodate sophisticated personnel, process, and technology needs that are constantly evolving. With our diverse experience leading projects for academic, healthcare, and research and development clients, we design dynamic spaces that capture the excitement of innovation and connect scientists through thoughtful planning.
Awareness of the long-term operational considerations of facilities has led us to a creative but balanced approach to developing solutions that improve productivity, adapt to evolving scientific instruments and technology, and reduce energy consumption.
We provide the insight to address issues early and integrate systems and components for each project’s unique challenges striving to design safe, sustainable laboratory environments that are timeless both in their aesthetic appeal and in their ability to support science.View selected projects
A residential building is a home to many, a workplace for some, and a place to visit for others. The purpose of these buildings extends far beyond the solid frameworks and durable materials of their construction. Each space must enhance the lives and communities of everyone that experiences it. Planning for the building’s evolving needs 25 or even 50 years into the future allows us to support a community and its residents as they continue to grow.
SBA has completed more than 100,000 housing units worldwide, ranging from 50-unit urban infill projects to brand-new, sustainable eco-towns serving 25,000 occupants. Our expertise ranges from apartments and condominiums to affordable housing, senior living communities, and student housing. We draw on our diverse experience to develop individual buildings and large-scale complexes that balance public and private, community and individuality.
Our residential designs have featured adaptive reuse, cluster housing, congregate housing, high-rise buildings, historic preservations, row houses, and sustainable low-energy housing as well as market-rate, luxury, traditional, and contemporary designs.View selected projects
Senior care communities demand an intimate understanding of multiple environments, including hospitality, healthcare, and residential design. Using our expertise in these fields, we develop facilities that provide comfort, convenience, and dignity for residents, staff, and visitors alike.
We create enhanced residential environments that are complemented by accessible common-use facilities and advanced healthcare provisions. Our mission is to support our clients’ goals of delivering high-end care with high-quality living.
SBA has a long history of designing mixed-use housing developments for retired and senior residents, from full-scale continuing care retirement communities to independent residences, assisted living units, long-term care, and special needs facilities.View selected projects
Urban Design / Mixed Use Development
Urban developments and mixed-use environments uniquely combine commercial and retail facilities with restaurants, entertainment venues, recreational facilities, and public green spaces. We take pride in designing each of these distinct features as elegant individual elements that combine into beautifully integrated communities.
Developments that serve a wide range of services and needs such as these require designers who can offer a variety of creative solutions and strategies. SBA draws on our long-ranging expertise across market sectors, including residential, hospitality, commercial, and civic design, to enable our clients to imagine innovative and forward-thinking possibilities for their unique mixed-use projects.
We have worked on the design and implementation of mixed-use and urban design projects both in the U.S. and China.Our projects have covered programming from retail, commercial, and residential complexes to destination entertainment centers and new eco urban towns, with several of our projects in China covering more than five million total square feet.View selected projects
- + Anna Jaques Hospital Expansion Project
- + Baystate Franklin Medical Center Surgery Modernization Project
- + Baystate Health - The Marketplace - Interior Environments
- + Baystate Health Southwing Fit-Out
- + Baystate Health – Children’s Specialty Center
- + Baystate Health – Women's Imaging Center
- + Baystate Medical Center – Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
- + Baystate Medical Center Children's Playdeck
- + Baystate Medical Center – Emergency and Trauma Center
- + Baystate Medical Center – HOF Heart & Vascular Surgery Department
- + Baystate Medical Center – Observation and Infusion Unit
- + Baystate Orthopedic Surgery Center
- + Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center – Needham
- + Boston Children's Hospital – Waltham Surgical Center
- + Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program Jean Yawkey Place
- + Brierley Hill Health and Social Care Centre
- + Brigham & Women's Hospital – Osher Clinical Center
- + Center For Medical Simulation
- + Community Health Services, Inc. FIP Addition & Renovation
- + Dedham Medical Associates – Atrius Health
- + Defense and National Rehabilitation Centre (DNRC) - Inpatient Care
- + Farr 8 Cardiovascular Inpatient Unit Renovation
- + Fenway Health – Ansin Building
- + Gravesham Community PFI
- + Hampshire Cancer Treatment Centre
- + Hartford HealthCare Cancer Institute
- + Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates – Concord
- + Health First Family Care Center
- + Kent Hospital Ambulatory Services Pavilion
- + Kent Hospital – Ambulatory Surgery Center
- + Mass General Cancer Center at Mass General West
- + Mass General Foot and Ankle Center at Mass General West
- + Massachusetts General Hospital Yawkey Center – Ambulatory Care
- + Massachusetts General Hospital Yawkey Center – Cancer Center
- + Mattapan Community Health Center
- + Morton Hospital – Emergency Department Addition
- + National Rehabilitation Centre
- + New England Baptist Hospital – Greater Boston Musculoskeletal Center – Ambulatory Care
- + New England Baptist Hospital – Greater Boston Musculoskeletal Center – Surgery Center
- + Northern Dutchess Hospital – Surgery Center
- + Oxford Churchill Hospital
- + Oxford Churchill Hospital – Cancer Centre
- + Oxford Churchill Hospital – Surgery and Diagnostic Centre
- + Runwell Forensic & Low Secure Building
- + South Shore Medical Center
- + Stanley Primary Care Centre
- + Steward Health Care – Norwood Hospital Psychiatric Units
- + The Doctors Laboratory (TDL) Patient Centre
- + The Neely Pediatric Bone Transplant Unit Tufts Medical Center’s Floating Hospital for Children
- + The Neely Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Clinic
Tufts Medical Center’s Floating Hospital for Children
- + UConn Health – John Dempsey Hospital
- + University College London Hospitals – Phase 5
- + University College London Hospitals – Proton Beam
- + University College London Hospitals – Redevelopment – Middlesex Hospital Annex Site
- + Vassar Brothers Medical Center – Medical Office Building
- + Vassar Brothers Medical Center – Surgery Center
- + Walsall Manor Hospital
- + Walsall Manor Hospital – Women’s, Children’s and Young Patients Unit
- + Winchester Hospital – Cancer Care Center