Brierley Hill Health and Social Care Center – Interior Environments
Dudley, United Kingdom
This state-of-the-art community health center houses three general practitioner organizations and serves 14,000 patients. Two outpatient wings are connected by a central core, which functions as a circulation hub from which all departments can be accessed.
A glass roof in the core forms the heart of the building’s aesthetic and functional design, reflecting the clean, simple environment of British healthcare settings. White walls and ceilings are contrasted by saturated color details within the millwork, doors, and glass. Bold graphics and geometric shapes are integrated into both vertical and horizontal planes to enliven the crisp lines of the interior aesthetic.
The interior floor plan organization maximizes the number of rooms that are located along external perimeters, offering patients visual access to the outdoors and the sun’s daily rhythms. This openness reduces the sense of confinement experienced in typical medical centers.
Interior Environments - Community Health Centers
- Partnership of Dudley Infracare Lift Ltd
- Carillion Planned Maintenance
- NHS Dudley and Dudley Council.
Three General Practitioner practices consisting of:
- 10 GPs serving 14,000 patients
- Three dental surgeries
- Leg ulcer services
- Accommodation for local council social services staff. Retail units on street front
Special Design Elements:
- Intuitive Wayfinding
- High percentage of rooms lit by natural light
- Underground parking
- Urban Regeneration Project
- Designed with respect to future buildings
- Active street frontage with retail units and a pharmacy/optician
Sustainable features and strategies include:
- High insulation values
- Solar shading
- Green inner courtyard
- Use of sustainably sourced timber on facades
- LIFT Awards 2010:Winner of Best Design, Highly Commended in Community Engagement category
- Winner of Best Regeneration Project Life Awards 2009
- Winner of Best Regeneration Black Country Awards 2008